Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Post-Rhinebeck


Every year I look forward to the NYS Sheep & Wool Festival in Rhinebeck.  I love the buzz and buildup among the sheep and fiber people, and the event never disappoints.

As the years go by, we find ourselves at different stages with the kids.  We are currently in the "how can you be in two places at one time" stage.  (The answer, by the way, is that you can't.)  With a XC Invitational in Saratoga for Alex and drama rehearsal for Alison, Saturday was out as far as making it to Rhinebeck.  That helped build the anticipation for Sunday.

On Sunday morning I got ready, picking out only one handknitted item to wear - a fabulous black cardigan with silver buttons, knit in a bulky weight yarn by my grandmother about 50 years ago.  I stole this sweater from my mom about 25 years ago...  It seemed fitting to wear this as a tribute to the person who taught me to knit (although my family now thinks of my knitting and fiber obsession as some sort of illness). 

I thought we were all just grabbing coffee and heading out the door, but someone decided food was in order -  bacon, in particular.  Then it became clear that I am the only one who knows how to cook bacon,  All was looking good and then Bob called me over to the computer to show me a very funny clip from the BBC.  In this brief span of time, the bacon went from being "at least 5 minutes from being done" to "burned to a cinder".  That's a new one for me.  We were successful on the second attempt...

As is typical around here, we never seem to get out the door when we think we will.  I'm almost over the sensation of building tension when I'm ready and no one else is.  Because in the end, we had a great day.  I ran into a lot of people I knew and was really excited that a neighbor won Supreme Grand Champion for one of her Wensleydale sheep!  The shot above is one from her flock - gorgeous, no? 

And so, another festival come and gone.  Can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment