Saturday, July 9, 2011

You Can Never Have Too Many Friends

I love birds.  Every spring I look forward to hearing the Red-winged blackbirds return with their distinctive song and I know that despite the cold days and potential for more snow (like this year), we are out of the worst of it.  The feeders have attracted larger and more varied groups each year.  This has worked to my advantage as the "regulars" know who I am.

A pair of Eastern Kingbirds decided to nest in one of our pine trees this year - the tree that is closest to the driveway.  The tree that you have to pass to get the mail, go to the barn, get to the road.  Eastern Kingbirds are apparently very protective of their nests as their young are getting ready to fledge. 

On a trip to get the mail, I heard one of the Red-winged blackbirds carrying on and looked up to see it hovering 6 feet over my head.  A second later, I realized what he was doing as one of the Kingbirds dove at me.  Had it not been for his warning, I think I would have received a puncture wound.

My friend stuck close each time I headed down the driveway, and by the end of the week, the Kingbirds had departed, their babies having fledged safely.  The moral of the story - make friends wherever you can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment