Monday, March 14, 2011

Back in Black


Over the weekend, the red-winged blackbirds returned.  If you look really hard, you'll see a black speck in the choke-cherry bush - that's him, our first real sign that spring is on the way.  I'm not even worried about the snow that is falling as I type this.  Not only were these guys back at the feeder, but the cardinals, robins, nuthatches, blue jays, chickadees and the ever present crows were socializing outside my kitchen window.  Maybe they're all happy I changed to a different birdseed this week.

Today is "Pi Day" (3.14).  Math fans already knew that, but if you're not a math fan, please take the opportunity to celebrate by having a slice of pie, and jogging your memory to remember that pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, approximately equal to 3.1415.  Alison insisted we make a chocolate cream pie (we did), and Alex had a homework sheet devoted to questions relative to pi.  I can't say I remember this much fun surrounding pi when I was in school - it was just something you had to remember...

My broken glass-topped stove has been replaced with a shiny new gas model.  It is beautiful and I love how the oven temperature is really the oven temperature, and not something higher or lower like on the old unit.  Now I will have to change my habit of stalking the cookies - checking every 30 seconds to make sure they are completely cooked, but not on their way to being overcooked.  How I will use this new-found freedom, I'm not sure.

Off to plan meals for the week - not because I want to obsess over my new toy, but because it is a week full of practices and performances and family coming to visit.  A little planning, even if it gets shuffled around, will keep me from serving potato chips for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment